We recently tested out baking some floral gingerbread as a festive treat for around the office. For us, the holiday season means expressing gratitude for your loved ones through spending time together and sharing gifts, and these make the perfect gift to spoil your friends and family with a little extra love.
We followed the Delish recipe for gingerbread so feel free to check out the original recipe here: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a50468/gingerbread-cookies-recipe/We’ve also included our own interpretation of the recipe below for you guys.
What You Need:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. salt
- Edible flowers (washed & dried)
1. In a large bowl, cream the softened butter, brown sugar and molasses together until fluffy. We recommend using an electric hand mixer to speed up the process but don’t worry, you don’t need expensive equipment to bake! We used a hand whisk and it worked perfectly fine, it just took a bit of extra time and elbow grease.
2. Once fluffy, add the egg and vanilla until fully combined.
3. In a separate bowl, mix all your dry ingredients together.
4. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Don’t overmix this as you’ll lose all the air and fluffiness that you whisked into the wet ingredients earlier.
5. Divide the dough in half and wrap in cling wrap. Don’t worry if the dough is feeling a bit sticky.
6. Chill the dough for 2-3 hours to help it firm up and become easier to handle.
7. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius
8. On a lightly floured surface, evenly roll out your dough until it’s approx. 7mm thick
9. Using a cookie cutter of your choice (we went with the classic circle) cut out your gingerbread
10. Line two baking sheets with baking paper and transfer your gingerbread onto the trays
11. Decorate your gingerbread with your edible flowers. The flowers will shrink in the oven so feel free to add as many flowers as you want.
12. Bake for 8-10 minutes and let cool before enjoying!
This floral gingerbread will last for up to 1 week, just keep them in an airtight container and at room temperature.